4-15 April 2018
At Griffith, we’re creating remarkable opportunities for our community through our partnership with the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018) .
As an Official Partner, our students, staff and graduates have the chance to be part of the biggest event in Australia this decade.
119 days 2 hours 21 minutes
First ever university
Griffith is the first ever university to partner with a Commonwealth or Olympic Games.
8 Griffith University and GC2018 Scholarships have been awarded for academic or sporting excellence.
110 internships completed
110 Griffith students have completed a GC2018 internship (correct as of 22 January 2018).
Up to 150 Griffith student interns
Approximately 150 Griffith students will be an intern during the Games in 2018.
How Griffith celebrated one year to go until GC2018
Griffith University celebrated one year to go until the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games with a busy week. We joined the community celebrations with GOLDOC and then officially opened our new Aquatic Centre on the Gold Coast with Olympic and Commonwealth Games champion Libby Trickett OAM.
45 Griffith Business School interns
23 arts, education and law interns
7 business and arts double degree students
7 health and arts double degree students
20 Griffith staff will lend their expertise through secondments with GOLDOC
Griffith athletes at the Games
On campus activities
Griffith's campuses will host a wide range of Commonwealth Games-related activity on our campuses, particularly at the Gold Coast during the pre-Games and Games time periods. This will include:
- The Gold Coast Aquatic Centre and Athletics Track will be training venues for athletes. These venues will be closed to public use during this time.
- A Public Transit Mall operated by the Department of Transport and Main Roads will be located on University Drive, taking people to and from the Hockey.
- The Red Zone and part of the Griffith Health Centre (G40) will host the Coaches House conference from 9 - 13 April.
- TeamAUS Australia will have access to the Gold Coast campus fitness centre, as well as a training room and sauna set up in The Link (G07).
- Commonwealth Games Australia will be operating out of the Griffith Business School (G42). Channel 7 will also be broadcasting from this building.
- Griffith Way (outside G55 car park) will act as a drop-off zone for the Commonwealth Games Athletes Village workforce.
- The South Bank campus is within the GC2018 festival zone.
and more activity as the Games approach.
Griffith University is also proud to be hosting the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Queen’s Baton Relay at both our Nathan and Gold Coast campuses. To celebrate, we will be holding special festivities for our students, staff and the local community to commemorate the occasion in style. There’ll be plenty on offer for the entire family, and we invite everyone to join us for these fun, free events.
The Uni Bar, food outlets and shops on the Gold Coast campus will be open as normal. Visit the Griffith shops website for details and opening hours.
March 12, 2018
Griffith experts present insight into Games’ legacy on Coast
Final edition of 'Inside Scoop' on Wednesday night.
March 06, 2018
Griffith swimmers book place in pool at home Games
A genuinely remarkable achievement for Griffith sport.
March 06, 2018
Griffith student finds way to design winning logo
Unique and thoughtful creation captures special narrative.
February 28, 2018
Commonwealth Games’ inclusive values at heart of new online Griffith course
Journey of para athlete to major sports event to be followed.